The Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase / Fitting of Aids and Appliances (ADIP Scheme) is a Government of India scheme that provides financial assistance to persons with disabilities (PwDs) for the purchase or fitting of durable, modern, scientifically manufactured aids and appliances to improve their physical, social, and psychological rehabilitation. The scheme is implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E) through various implementing agencies, such as NGOs, National Institutes, and ALIMCO (a PSU).
Objectives of the ADIP Scheme
- To assist needy PwDs in procuring durable, sophisticated, and scientifically manufactured, modern, standard aids and appliances that can promote their physical, social, and psychological rehabilitation.
- To reduce the effects of disabilities and enhance the economic potential of PwDs.
Eligibility for the ADIP Scheme
To be eligible for the ADIP Scheme, a person must:
- Be an Indian citizen of any age.
- Have a disability certificate of at least 40% benchmark disability.
Types of aids and appliances covered under the ADIP Scheme
The ADIP Scheme covers a wide range of aids and appliances, including:
- Hearing aids
- Cochlear implants
- Speech aids
- Braille typewriters
- Talking calculators
- Artificial limbs
- Prosthetic aids
- Orthopaedic aids
- Any other aid or appliance that is essential for the physical, social, and psychological rehabilitation of the PwD
How to apply for the ADIP Scheme
To apply for the ADIP Scheme, PwDs can register online at the ADIP Scheme portal (https://adip.disabilityaffairs.gov.in/). After registering, they need to submit the required documents and apply for the aid or appliance they need.
Financial assistance provided under the ADIP Scheme
The financial assistance provided under the ADIP Scheme depends on the type of aid or appliance being purchased. The Government of India provides a subsidy of up to 90% of the cost of the aid or appliance, subject to a maximum of Rs. 25,000 per PwD. The remaining cost of the aid or appliance is to be borne by the PwD.
The ADIP Scheme is a valuable scheme that helps PwDs to purchase or fit the aids and appliances they need to improve their quality of life. PwDs who are eligible for the scheme should apply for it to avail of the financial assistance provided under the scheme.