The Deendayal Disabled Rehabilitation Scheme to promote Voluntary Action for Persons with Disabilities (DDRS Scheme) is a Central Sector Scheme of the Government of India that provides financial assistance to voluntary organizations working for the education and rehabilitation of persons with disabilities (PwDs). The scheme was launched in 1999 and has been revised several times over the years.
Objectives of the DDRS Scheme
The objectives of the DDRS Scheme are to:
- Create an enabling environment to ensure equal opportunities, equity, social justice, and empowerment of PwDs.
- Encourage voluntary action for ensuring effective implementation of the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
- Provide financial assistance to voluntary organizations to make available the whole range of services necessary for the rehabilitation of PwDs, including early intervention, development of daily living skills, education, skill development oriented towards employability, training, and awareness generation.
Types of projects supported under the DDRS Scheme
The DDRS Scheme supports a wide range of projects, including:
- Special schools for PwDs with visual, hearing, orthopedic, and mental disabilities.
- Vocational training centers.
- Sheltered workshops.
- Early intervention and training programs.
- Home-based rehabilitation programs.
- Projects for the rehabilitation of leprosy-cured persons.
- Projects relating to survey, identification, awareness, and sensitization.
- Projects for community-based rehabilitation.
- Projects for human resource development.
- Seminars, workshops, and rural camps.
Eligibility for the DDRS Scheme
Voluntary organizations that are registered under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 or the Indian Trust Act, 1882 and have at least three years of experience in working for PwDs are eligible to apply for assistance under the DDRS Scheme.
How to apply for the DDRS Scheme
Voluntary organizations that are interested in applying for assistance under the DDRS Scheme can download the application form from the website of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MoSJ&E). The completed application form should be submitted to the MoSJ&E along with the required documents.
Financial assistance provided under the DDRS Scheme
The financial assistance provided under the DDRS Scheme depends on the type of project being implemented. The MoSJ&E provides a grant of up to 90% of the cost of the project, subject to a maximum of Rs. 1 crore per project. The remaining cost of the project is to be borne by the voluntary organization.
The DDRS Scheme is a valuable scheme that helps voluntary organizations to provide a wide range of services to PwDs. Voluntary organizations that are eligible for the scheme should apply for it to avail of the financial assistance provided under the scheme.